Drake's equation is an attempt to estimate the number of extraterrestrial civilizations in our galaxy that we might come into contact with.
I propose the following modification
N = R* × fp × ne × fl × fi × fc × fpwd x L
N is the number of civilizations in our galaxy, with which we might hope to be able to communicate;
- R* is the rate of star formation in our galaxy
- fp is the fraction of those stars that have planets
- ne is average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
- fl is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
- fi is the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
- fc is the fraction of the above that are willing and able to communicate
- fpwd is the fraction of the above that get past passwords
- L is the expected lifetime of such a civilization for the period that it can communicate across interstellar space.
Captn Kirk: I need full power Scotty.
Scotty: I'm trying Captain but I've forgotten the password to the control system. Bones, didn't I share it with you?
McCoy: I'm a doctor not a help-desk rep.
Spock: Your reliance on such antiquated technology is illogical.
Post a Comment