Tuesday, April 15, 2008

They must be joking

Visa requirements for travel to Sweden (perversely, obtained from the Danish embassy in Ottawa) follows.

I have a valid Canadian passport, do I need a visa? Not at all clear from the novel below.

How do I apply?

Based on a global agreement on division of labour between the Nordic countries, the processing of visa applications in Canada for travellers going to Sweden is handled by the Embassy of Denmark in Ottawa.

You can apply for a visa at one of the Swedish Consulates around Canada or at the Embassy of Denmark in Ottawa.

Visiting as a Tourist

You may be granted a visa if the Embassy judges that you intend leaving the Schengen zone after your visit.

Please notice that if you are a Canadian citizen holding a valid Canadian passport, you do not need a visa for a tourist visit not exceeding 90 days.

When applying for a visa for Sweden, you must submit all of the following documents:

- Application for Schengen Visa (form #119031).

- Application for supplementary Visa Application (J1-Form)

- Appendix D: Family appendix for applicants (form #201031).

- Valid passport (must be valid at least 3 months after trip to Sweden). Please note the following The Canadian Certificate of Identity (brown cover) is NOT valid for travel to the Schengen countries. The Canadian Travel Document (blue cover) IS valid for travel to the Schengen countries with a visa. The validity of travel documents should exceed that of the visa by at least 6 months.

- Permanent Resident Card or other permit for Canada (employment authorization, visitor's record etc).

- One passport photograph size 3,5 x 4,5 cm - full face, colour, light background, not more than 6 months old, bareheaded unless special religious reasons exist.

- Information on how you support yourself in Canada (e.g. letter from employer, bank statements etc) approximate CAD 56 per day.

- Hotel reservation. If you intend to stay with a friend/relative, provide invitation document (appendix E with "personbevis" - original).

- Copy of plane reservation/flight itinerary.

- Once the Embassy is able to confirm that a visa can be issued, proof of medical travel insurance with a minimum coverage of the equivalent of EUR 30,000 must be presented. The insurance has to be valid for the entire Schengen area and for the entire stay in Schengen PLUS an additional 14 days.

- Visa application fee of CAD 90 per person, children over the age of 6 included, payable when applying.


Anonymous said...

Also remember a coat and hat

Magnus said...

If you'll be staying for less than 90 days, you don't need a Visa since you have a Canadian passport.

Robert said...

C'mon mon ami! This is a relying party policy avant la lettre.

1) Sweden does trust the Canadian authorities if you're only visiting as a tourist, i.e. only access certain resources: the bars, restuarants, etc. And not come to impose your thought provoking ideas on those super efficient Swedes-at-work; think about the danger if they might loose their concentration for a while.

2) Sweden does not trust all assertions issued by Canada: those ugly brown Canadian Certificates of Identity are not good for anything as far as Sweden is concerned. Whereas Sweden is willing (as it has some agreement with partners in the Schengen zone that is has accepted as IDP Proxies) to treat the blue Canadian Travel Document as a token with which you can apply for a Swedish visa. And a real Canadian passport is good for tourist activities.

Anyway, the good news is that once you're in Sweden you can come also to Finland. And visit me as I don't do real work. So you don't have to be afraid of the police (who as of today are getting Segways, criminals beware!). And the beer is cheaper here too. Our local swimming hall has a hot-tub.