Thursday, November 23, 2006

Mea culpa

Lately I've found myself occasionally thinking that (and I hesitate to even confess this) 'user-centric' identity might not be so ground-breakingly new and perhaps, just perhaps, might simply be the most recent manifestation of the long established concept of empowering users with appropriate controls over their identity. Technologies have advanced yes, but the fundamental principle is the same. I've even found myself questioning whether or not user-centric identity is appropriate for all use-cases.

Yes, I know, I'm disappointed in myself too. My only defense is to say that I did not want to have thoughts such as this and I can only assure you that this is not what I truly believe.

Consequently, these thoughts will not go unchallenged. To banish such doubts back to from whence they sprang, I've created a GreaseMonkey script to give me constant reminders of the truth.

Here is the script in action (click on the graphics for a larger view)

On the Google results page for 'user-centric'


and on OpenID

and at Project Liberty


Should you find yourself having similar doubts, I'd be happy to share the script.

No comments: