Sunday, October 22, 2006

Airplane washroom load balancing & other flighty miscellany

  • In-seat Personal Video Systems act as an effective load balancing system for airplane washrooms. When every passenger can choose their entertainment options, you don't get the rush for the facilities that happens when a movie shown on the big screen ends. If passengers could serve themselves their meals from a buffet the load would be smoothed out even more.

  • Air Canada has outfitted bulkhead seats with airbags. Fitted into the seat belts of those seats, they are designed to compensate for the lack of a tray table in front of you (into which your head would otherwise slam)

  • I saw the sign below at Ottawa Airport.


    Quite the relief as I had been worried about the permanence of that particular piece of nondescript, beige-coloured, industrial carpet

  • I enjoy watching people come into an airplane and start to peer closely at the number above each row of seats. I think the thought process is something like 'OK, let's see, I'm in row 42 - 2, 3, 4 let me just check my boarding pass, yup, still 42 - 5, 6, 7. 8, oh wait, did I miss 42? Nope, still good - 9, 10, 11, check boarding pass again, 12, 13 .......39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, hey just a sec, ....

  • Flying from YYZ to HKG, missed the North Pole by 120 miles.

  • As an experiment, turned on my GPS during the flight. Clocked at 850 km/h. That's going to bump up my weekly running total distance and average speed nicely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never been able to get my GPS handset to 'acquire' in flight. I'll try again.