Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Sent from my Dell

I just received my first email message with 'Sent from my iPhone' as postscript.

I've always found it annoying when I saw the same for BlackBerrys. It always conjured up images of marketing types striding purposefuilly through airports. I've decided to up my annoyance level for iPhones.

Is there any conceivable reason why I should care about the specific device from which a message was sent?

The only justification I can think of (other than misplaced viral marketing) is that the sender wants to explain the brief & cursory messages that typing on such a device requires.

If this is the reason, would not 'Sent from a device with a crappy keyboard' achieve the same?

And wouldn't Apple want this reality downplayed rather than hilited?

Tags:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are correct. this is bogus. it should say - 'Sent from my iPhone or so my IdP would have you believe'

Anonymous said...

There's even a nice "Mailer"/"X-Mailer" header field that could be used for this purpose.

Pat Patterson said...

You're just jealous :-P

Johan Akerstrom said...

Have to second that as well.

P.S. This is written from my barely working very cheap (because I'm poor) home built PC. :)

Anonymous said...

If that’s getting your panties in a bunch, I guess the signature, "Sent by iPhone.openid.com/user" would lead to spontaneous combustion!