Monday, June 02, 2008

A NEW paradigm

prompted by Axel, I installed the Operator Firefox extension, and I have to say I am blown away by the power of micro-formats and the Semantic Web.

The idea is (and it may take a while for you to grasp this because it is a NEW PARADIGM) that the contents of a page are 'marked up' with 'tags' that describe the data they contain.

I'll give you a bit to digest this.
.
.
.
Then, and this is the incredible NEW PARADIGM part, the browser, based on those tags, renders the information for you to read! Yes, you heard me, you can actually VIEW the contents of the tagged up data in your browser!

What's more, you can export the tagged up data from the browser, or even have the browser remember it!

I may be stretching what is possible, but I can even imagine people putting online whole books, classifieds, perhaps even advertisements. The mind boggles at the possibilities.

No comments: