Thursday, September 14, 2006

They must want me to call them

I'm trying to reset a password on a site I don't use much and I see the following



The Q&A would have been previously supplied by myself sometime ago.

Unfortunately, for each Q, there are a couple of possible A's that I might have provided. For instance, I was born in Moscow but maybe I entered 'Russia' or 'USSR'. Who knows. The same for the questions about names, did I enter full names or shorter versions?

So, since each Q has at least two variant A's, and they give no hints as to which A is wrong, the odds are 1 in 8 that I, the valid account holder, will be able to reset without calling them for help (or spending the time trying the permutations).

The help desk staff must have a strong union protecting themselves from redundancy layoffs.

No comments: