Thursday, May 14, 2009

Early friend request

A letter from Prince Henry (future Henry VIII) to King Philip of Castile


n,To PHILIP, KING OF CASTILE
RlGMT EXCELLENT, RIGHT HIGH AND MIGHTY PRINCE,
I commend myself unto you in most hearty and affectuous
manner. And because the Chamberlain of my dear and best-
beloved consort, the princess my wife, goeth presently to you,
for certain matters which, as he says, concern him there, he has
besought and required me that I should write to you in his
behalf. Right excellent, right high and mighty Prince, very
cordially I pray you that you will hold him recommended in
these his affairs; and that from time to time you will ascertain
me and let me know of your good health and prosperity, the

which most singularly and with all my heart I do desire to be
of long continuance as in manner mine own. And tor my part,
whensoever I may find fit bearer, I am entirely resolved to do the

like for you.
Furthermore, on your signifying if there he anything here,
in the which I may do you honour and pleasure, I will take the
pains to satisfy you therein with all my heart, with the help of
our Lord, whom I pray, right high, right excellent and mighty
Prince, give you good life and long.

Written at the manor of Greenwich, the yih day of April,
Your humble cousin,

HENRY, PRINCE OF

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm..if I was him, this is what I would have done.

I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.
- Ashish

Paul Madsen said...

nah, LinkedIn was still in early beta, invitation only