Friday, June 16, 2006

Top 10 quotes about authority

10) "Authority without wisdom is like a heavy ax without an edge, fitter to bruise than polish" - Anne Bradstreet

9) "Authority is quite degarding" - Oscar Wilde

8) "“There will never be a really free and enlightened State until the State comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived, and treats him accordingly”" - Henry David Thoreau

7) "The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis." - Dalai Lama

6) "We know, on the authority of Moses, that longer than six thousand years the world did not exist" - Martin Luther

5) "When you make your peace with authority, you become authority." - Jim Morrison

4) "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory" - Leonardo Da Vinci

3) "No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority" - Robert Heinlein

2) "All authority belongs to the people" - Thomas Jefferson

and the #1 quote about authority is ...

1) "“To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.”" - Albert Einstein

1 comment:

an institutionalised freak said...

I want to thank you so much Paul Madsen. I am forever in your debt. I have a thesis due tomorrow about authority and the individual in which i needed to end with a BANG you have provided me with this BANG. All i can hope for now is an A.
Yours Sincerely,
an institutionalised freak