Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A prescription for trouble

I went to my optometrist/optician to pick-up my prescription, with the intent of using it to buy contact lens online.

I was fully prepared to do battle over who owned the prescription, expecting some resistance from them to enabling my shopping around. A little bit of Googling Canadian Privacy Law, a couple of all-nighters writing up my argument, and I was ready.

In the end however, clearly sensing my determination and preparedness, they caved immediately - handing it over without even a token protest.

I don't envy somebody else in that situation lacking my grasp of the legal & identity issues.

1 comment:

Robert said...

I wish I had your preparedness and the resulting charismatic radiation when I once attempted to order new glasses (just lenses) in CA with a prescription obtained in Finland ...
They wouldn't trust the prescription and only sell me new lenses if I would get a prescription from the one optometric they worked with...