Thursday, February 08, 2007

ProtectNetwork.org - Public SAML and OpenID IDP

ProtectNetwork.org is a public IDP that's worth noting because it supports both SAML and OpenID as SSO protocols. Follows is my halting and awkward screencap video of the two protocols in operation.



The stumbling when I was selecting my IDP from the SAML RP (the Internet2 Wiki) illustrates one issue with this model versus that of OpenID. But, what wasn't shown was that the Wiki set a cookie capturing my choice of IDP so that, on subsequent visits, I'd get immediately directed to ProtectNetwork.org without having to manually select/indicate my IDP. Trade-offs all around.

Note to self: cookies are the bane of creating demos of SSO operations, they often hide exactly that which you want to make explicit.

No comments: